Monday 7 November 2011

            
               

                      Sketchbook Reflection



After analysing several sketchbooks in the session (Thurs 3rd Nov) I now feel I can evaluate my own work to date, in order to reflect on my progress so far and can highlight areas that I feel need further development.  When reflecting on the comments made by my peers, I agree there are aspects of my work that have proved successful, however from seeing the work of others believe there are also areas that need improvement.
I see the initial drawings in relation to my primary research as being a vital in providing me with a basis to begin my development.  After immediately visiting my chosen starting point, I collected a range of photographs of the aspects of Canal Street that initially interested me.  From here, I began drawing from these images, as well as drawing on the street itself, focusing primarily on colour, form and texture.  This provided me with a range of visual elements that I could develop, or discard accordingly.
Throughout my project, I continue to juxtapose the use of harsh bold prints, with a soft use of watercolour, including work that has great detail and pieces that are relatively loose. I see my use of colour as a positive aspect of my work that I continue to use throughout when considering all of my ideas.  This evolved as a theme within my project, as colour proved a significant feature when considering the social connections related to the transvestites at Canal Street. As a result, I chose to study different fabrics found when searching about this idea and produced larger scale studies of these in gouache and watercolour.  I think my methodology is quite formal with my ideas progressing clearly. I begin by focusing on an image or idea related to my starting point, I explore the ways I can interpret this idea with a range of materials and media, developing the more successful outcomes in different ways on a larger scale.  Contextually I visited several exhibitions that informed my starting point, each, along with the Contextualising Practice Lectures,  inspired me to challenge the way I worked, attempting to evolve diverse ways of working.  From looking at other sketchbooks, I believe I could improve my working method by including, and relating my workshop samples to my sketchbook work.  I have now begun to do this and hope my knit work will enhance and compliment my drawings.  I also hope to discover the work of more significant artists, to gain more inspiration before the end of the project.
I believe my project has been effective to date, and hope to continue developing further ideas in relation to my second workshop before the end of the project.  In order to improve my work I will adapt my way of working considering the aforementioned points, including all on going workshop samples.



                 
                                                               (Acrylic Print with Soft Pastel)


 


( Fine Liner)


 

(Acrylic Mono Print)

 


(Acrylic Print, fabric, embroidery)

No comments:

Post a Comment