Sunday 19 February 2012

Embroidery sample development...

I aimed for the remaining week of sampling, to push my samples, in order to mimic aspects that have proved successful in my drawings. To do this I experimented with colour further, printing hand painted versions of my favourite sections of my drawings onto different silks, and embroidering into these heavily, layering colour and forming textures.the photographs taken when 'manipulating feathers' helped influence this development greatly. I hope to produce a large scale sample in relation to this which will echo the most successful areas of this stage progression.

In reflection, when considering my progress to date, it is clear I follow a fairly strict working method. I am constantly inspired by visual research that surrounds me in everyday life, here visiting a friends hawk, and viewing local averies,  and continue to draw from such evidence, continuously creating marks, exploring colour and tone, which provides me with a set of imagery that informs the development of samples. In this unit I have challenged myself by producing large scale drawing, juxtaposing quick, loose mark making with accurate studies of my chosen theme, which proved vital in the success of this project. By continuing to add to my collection of drawings, I provided myself with a varied collection of imagery, and a broad set of marks to choose from when selecting areas of success to then echo in the development of samples. Contextualising practice has continued to affect my progress, this unit focusing on scale, I took risks, manipulating feathers, and using photography to challange the scale of imagery, something I would tend not to move towards usually. The outcomes however proved worthwhile, such ideas influenced my samples greatly and gave another dimension to my body of work.  My embroidery samples compliment print ideas well, the use of layering and creation of texture in embroidery contrast agaisnt the two dimentional, low relief print samples.  My colour pallates are defined throughtout, and a theme is clearly evident. In hind sight I would of liked to produce more sucessful print designs, and with more time would have developed the hand painted screen technique which proved more relevant to my style of work, and as embroided samples were extremely time consuming, I would of liked to have dweveloped a more dense collection.



Hand painting printed onto light cotton, satin stitch, corded threads.




Hand painting printed onto silk, satin stitch, tailor tack. corded threads.


Small pin tuck.


Small and Large pin tuck.


No comments:

Post a Comment